Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Pride and Prejudice

I haven't written in quite a while. Frankly, I've been too self-absorbed and too damn lazy to write anything, really, even though I've kept fairly busy. But tonight, I have an impetus, a motivation and a reason to write. It's a great day for America.

It's a great day for America and a day to be proud. I'm proud that the youth of a nation finally fulfilled its promise to show up and be heard for once. I'm proud that the guy whom I joked about while I lived in Chicago for having a funny name spread a message of hope and destiny in a way no one else has. I'm proud that the old man, after a well deserved defeat, rediscovered the voice of the old John McCain--the one that we all knew and respected and who was dragged through the mud by W--and delivered an eloquent, gracious and substantive concession speech.

I'm proud that after 220+ years on the face of the earth, our country saw fit to cast aside bigotry and prejudice, and speak in one voice overwhelmingly in support of a Black candidate. I am proud that my party finally got its collective shit together and ran a complete campaign, clean as any in recent history. I am proud that my home state of Ohio finally got an election right. I'm proud that I was part of a movement that has begun a fundamental shift in the American psyche, where red states will vote blue and blue states embrace red. And, finally, I'm proud to have been witness to history and yet another phenomenal speech.

Yes we can, yes we have and yes we will.

No comments: