Monday, August 11, 2008

Beiching!

i'm not ordinarily a fan of the olympics; in part because save for 1996, it's usually on the other side of the world which screws with my schedule and in the other part because i don't understand how shooting a bb gun is more a sport than softball or baseball. my normal feelings aside, i gotta hand it to the chinamen for putting on a wicked kick ass games so far. the opening ceremony was nothing short of phenomenal (except for that stupid parade of nations, which every olympics has to do. it's fucking boring!) and the organizers from the people's republic lucked into some compelling circumstances surround stuff i ordinarily couldn't possibly care about less like swimming (how could anyone not be in love with dara torres? oh, and you're pretty cool too, phelps). crazy awesome relay finish anyone?

i still can't bring myself to watch men's diving or gymnastics and, really, the best part of the summer olympics has to be the track events anyway. but all in all, i've found myself much more involved, invested and caring about these games than any other i've seen. even if it is in the homeland of our mortal adversary. thank you, women's beach volleyball, for restoring my faith and interest in the games (i love you misty may-treanor. matt is a lucky guy!). USA!

1 comment:

Cowboy said...

I love how you use a semicolon in your writing, yet you don't feel the need to capitalize. Very "F.U. grammar!"

I agree. Watching men's diving is a touch too homoerotic for me. I don't like it when they grab their knees and do sommersaults through the air... the taint covered by a thin sheild of bathing suit.