Saturday, September 20, 2008

Is that my line?

my political affiliation isn't much of a secret, and i'm anything if not staunch in my views and gladly throw my support behind those who share my views. but none of this precludes me from hating politicians from both sides of the aisle.

i thought my ire had reached its peak when a certain governor from a certain, ahem, "state" had an interview with a fairly credible journalist and failed to comprehend the basic principles of the doctrine of her predecessor. it certainly reinforced my figuring that americans are, in no uncertain terms, fucking stupid and have no problem flaunting it by supporting their elementary school librarian for the 2nd highest office in the land. but then came a moment that shot my blood pressure through the rough and forced steam from my ears....and it came from MY candidate.

let me understand one thing: you've been on the stump for how long now? and after all this time of repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and then over some more, you STILL can't remember what you're supposed to say without reading a goddamned queue card? really?!

you know when you're lying in bed at night all relaxed and suddenly you pick up on this annoying little sound and it's the only thing you can focus on? well, the same thing is happening to me every time i see a political ad (local, state, federal or otherwise) where there's a person talking to the camera. i haven't a clue what they're actually saying because i've tuned them out. instead, i focus on their eyes and see if they ever avert their gaze from the queue card and talk to me from the heart. and the answer is always no. and it makes me want to make my own ad where i speak to politicians and i say "i see your lips moving, but all i hear is 'blah blah blah blah. i'm a dirty skank.'"

look, if you want to be taken seriously and you want us to believe you're genuine in your words and in your convictions, it may be a good idea to be able to recite these things by rote memory. just a suggestion.

but i guess it's a good thing i don't actually hear what they're saying. ya know, since every article i've read in the past few weeks claim that none of the "facts" contained in these ads are true. god, you just gotta love election season.

1 comment:

Cowboy said...

I find it ironic that so many politicians talk about 'change' using the same old methods.